While we have been sheltering in place, we may have neglected to wash our hair. I want to discuss hydration with you and why we need to get our hair wet again.
Have you ever neglected a house plant and went to water it and the water rushed right through the pot? This is due to lack of hydration in the soil. All you need to do is continue to water this plant daily to bring back the moisture into the soil.
This is the same thing with our hair. If you:
- feel your hair and it feels dry and brittle on the ends
- you use heat every day to style your hair
- it takes a long time for your hair to fully saturate with water in the shower
- you haven’t gotten your hair wet in multiple days
Your hair is probably dehydrated and you need to spend a little bit of time re-hydrating your hair. This doesn’t mean using a deep conditioner, it just means using water more often on your hair.
Try these ideas to see if you can rehydrate your hair:
- On second or third day of your hairstyle, you could scrunch in some water, or smooth some water over the top layer of your hair.
- If you shampoo on a daily basis, you could skip the shampoo for the day, and just use conditioner on your hair. Fully saturate your hair with water, run conditioner on the ends, avoiding the scalp, let it sit for 5 min and then rinse.
- Another option is to really let the water soak into your hair. Just when you go to reach for your shampoo, stay under the water a little longer. Then when you rinse, do it very well, making sure to feel your scalp and know that all the product has been removed.
Just some ideas to rehydrate your hair that doesn’t cost you a penny!!